Tuesday, July 23, 2013

And The Winner of the Reyes Travel Photo Challenge Is…

There was not A winner, but TWO winners of the Reyes Travel Photo Challenge, a social media event (#reyestravelart) where fans submitted work that I would ultimately paint. For their trouble? Oh nothing, just a free print of the winning image on canvas. After a hiatus, and with many more new fans, maybe it's time to host the Reyes Travel Art Challenge, Part II?
A print of one of the winners, "Aero No. 33 (Mountainscape)", just before shipping to its new owner, Carole K.

THE BACKSTORY

In April, I invited readers of my newsletter, followers on Instagram, and fans on Facebook to the Reyes Fine Art "Travel Photo Challenge". The winner of the contest would get a free print reproduction of an original artwork I create based on travel-inspired photos they shoot and submit. The artwork I create will become welcome additions to my "Aero Series" (www.aeroscapeart.com). 

The response was overwhelming and it was so much fun fielding your questions and seeing the photos roll in to my inbox! Here's a visual look at my process to go from 60+ submission to a winner:
On the first pass, I was able to narrow 60+ photos down to these 30 images. Decisions, decisions!
Getting from 30 to these 6 was incredibly challenging. I was focusing on colors that suit my Aero Series palette, and dynamic compositions. So many could have made the top 6!
After narrowing down to the 6 semifinalists, I took a week to think things over. Ultimately, it was impossible to pick only one winner, so I chose TWO! I loved the sculptural feel and abstract quality of Carole's aerial mountainscape and the effect of the light hitting the irregular shapes in Jay's cloudscape. Congratulations to Carole, Jay and all who participated.

No comments:

Post a Comment